News & Profiles
- This month in @UMASS
Your Minutemen are excited to play before home crowds at McGuirk and Gillette Stadiums. Read bios on the players who proudly represent the outstanding academic and athletic tradition of our flagship campus and prepare to cheer for them this fall! Read more.
This month in Student @UMASS
Over $75,000 was awarded to UMass students with outstanding academic records, leadership and community service. Family and friends gathered on campus as Dr. JC Schnabl, executive director of the Alumni Association, and Enku Gelaye, vice chancellor for student affairs, presented the awards.
- Bradley Paul '89, HFA sent this photo from Mozambique where he works for an NGO focused on rural development in the agricultural sector. Brad helped the owner name this neighborhood bar, which is generating a lot of buzz about the Minutemen!
Read more class notes and submit your own!
Alumni News and Profiles
- Alumni Help Take the Team to
- Three of UMass’ greatest players of all-time are now filling roles on the football coaching staff: Liam Coen ’09, Marcel Shipp ’01 and Charles Walker ’08. The trio sat down recently to discuss what it’s like to return home, what their goals are as coaches and how things have changed around not just the football program, but the university as well since their days on campus.
- Saving the World One T-shirt at a Time
- Nathan Rothstein ’06, co-founder of Project Repat, wanted to find a more sustainable solution to the problem of discarded t-shirts. “The average American has about 75 pounds of textiles in their closet and a lot of it ends up dumped in landfills. We’ve also lost a lot of textile jobs to cheap labor and lax regulations overseas,” says Rothstein. “We want to turn all those t-shirts that were made overseas, into fair-wage jobs here in the USA.”
- Creator of "The Million Dollar Arm"
- In the sports marketing arena, the name J.B. Bernstein '90 is synonymous with innovation, creativity and problem-solving. Bernstein has represented some of the greatest athletes of all time including Barry Bonds, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. He is also the mastermind of The Million Dollar Arm contest. This revolutionary reality TV show and talent search for baseball players in India yielded the first two Indian-born men ever to sign pro sports contracts in the United States.
- Alumna senior leader at CSU Channel Islands
- Gayle Hutchinson '90 Ed.D. recently assumed the role of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at CSU Channel Islands. She previously served as Dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences at CSU, Chico. In 2005, Hutchinson was selected as one of 39 faculty members and administrators nationwide for the American Council of Education (ACE) Fellows Program.
- Alumna Shirazi appears in video campaign
- Public Health alumna Eliza Shirazi, '13, appears in Australis Barramundi's new "Be Better" video campaign. In the video, she shares how she developed "Kick It With Eliza" group fitness classes while a student at UMass Amherst and how her success helped change her life.
- Isenberg Graduate Joins NBA Associate Program
- In a field of 3,000 applicants, Melcolm Ruffin '13, a graduate of Isenberg's Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management, is among eight candidates who will join the National Basketball Association's prestigious NBA Associate Program. The eight to 12-month rotational program immerses trainees in a wealth of management and leadership challenges at the NBA's league offices in Manhattan and Secaucus, New Jersey.
- ECE Alumnus Runs ZeroLag and Doubles as Racecar Driver
- Greg Strelzoff '94 is consumed by two high-profile occupations that each depend on speed, precision, and high performance. Strelzoff is the CEO of ZeroLag, a Los Angeles based dedicated hosting company that allows its customers to enjoy full leverage of all their server resources, including customization of storage, memory, or networking configurations to suit their needs. In addition to running ZeroLag, Strelzoff is also a racecar driver, beginning in 2009 with the Skip Barber Summer Series, an entry-level professional car-racing circuit.
- Read more alumni profiles