Points of Pride
Alumni of all career stages have access to a host of online resources, webinars, and Alumni Advisors for career support.
- Career Month 2017 was a month-long showcase of alumni career programs and resources in March. Over 1,200 alumni and students participated in 19 online and in-person programs across the country.
- Our Alumni Advisors program continues to attract alumni and students for one-to-one career conversations, resume reviews, and mock interviews.
Alumni Network Highlights
Throughout the country, volunteer-led Alumni Networks coordinate alumni activities that foster connectivity, professional development, philanthropy, and UMass pride!
- In a first-ever partnership with the Boston Red Sox, UMass Night at Fenway welcomed 1,000 alumni and friends to Fenway Park in May to see the Red Sox score a win over the Texas Rangers. This sell-out event raised $5,000 for the Greater Boston Network Scholarship.
- The annual UMass in Florida events engaged over 300 alumni across Florida and for the first time ever, members of the Minuteman Marching Band performed in the parade spreading UMass pride and spirit throughout the thousands of parade goers. View photos.
- The 22nd Annual Cape Cod Scholarship Golf Tournament raised $24,000 in scholarships for Cape Cod students attending UMass Amherst.
- The Multicolor Mile made a big splash on campus, creating a new, colorful tradition. Over 700 people registered for the fun with a portion of each ticket supporting student scholarships. Over $3,500 was raised for students with financial need. View photos.
- Our Student Alumni Association spent hundreds of hours planning and executing the 19th annual Commencement Ball in May. This senior tradition welcomed some 2,400 seniors and their guests to the Mullins Center for dancing, photos, food, and great memories before graduation. And, a portion of all ticket sales, totaling $12,000, was contributed to the Student Care and Emergency Response Fund, assisting students with unforeseen expenses that threaten their ability to remain in school and successfully graduate. View photos.
Each year the Alumni Association awards over $100,000 in scholarships to accomplished students with financial need.
- Among the scholarships awarded were those raised through the efforts of our Alumni Networks including:
- the Greater Boston Alumni Network Scholarship
- the Cape Cod Alumni Network Scholarship
- the Life Sciences Alumni Network Scholarship
Dedicated to the past, present, and future of UMass Amherst, the Alumni Association recognizes alumni and students efforts that bring great pride and honor to our alma mater.
The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor bestowed by the UMass Amherst Alumni Association on alumni, faculty and friends. Recipients of this prestigious award have translated their UMass Amherst experience into distinguished achievement in the public, business or professional realms. Our 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award recipients include:
Michael G. Wessells '73 MA, '74 PhD
Professor, Columbia University
Suzin M. Bartley '80
Executive Director, The Children’s Trust
Robert F. Littleton Jr. '71
Founder, The Evergreen Center
Melissa James '10
CEO, The Tech Connection
Director of the African Development Policy Program, UMass Amherst
Danielle O'Connor Dean '10
Senior Data Scientist Lead, Microsoft
Students, faculty, and staff showed their love for UMass in February as part of Student Engagement & Philanthropy Month. Participants wrote more than 700 thank you postcards to generous donors and showcased their love for UMass on social media using #iLoveUMassAmherst and #ShareTheLove. The day included games, giveaways, and lots of UMass pride.
Owners of the UMass License Plate continue to grow and show UMass pride everywhere they go. Proceeds from the special plate program support scholarships, career advising, alumni networks, and more. Learn more about the UMass License Plate.